Boosting Black Male Student Achievement


Black males who drop out of high school have a 70 percent chance of going to prison by the time they’re in their mid-thirties. For black male high school graduates, that number is about 30 percent. In response to statistics like these, the Minneapolis Public School District created an Office of Black Male Student Achievement earlier this year. One goal of the office is to help young African American men graduate from high school in greater numbers. It’s one of the first initiatives of its kind in the country, according to a great article from Hechinger Report’s Liz Willen.

On the podcast this week, we’re bringing you excerpts from a conversation with Office Director Michael Walker and Minnesota Public Radio host Tom Crann.